Thursday, March 12, 2009

Day Two

I'm afraid I don't have too many pictures to add today. We were able to take a fair number, but a lack of cables and chargers has limited how many I was able to upload. We'll make up for it tomorrow.






Audrey is doing really well. Her bloodwork results today showed that her clotting factors were normal, which is great. Her bilirubin was a little elevated - which is extremely common in preemies - so they put her under special lights to help with that.

My recovery from the surgery is also going well, I did have more pain today, but nothing too terrible. And I'm producing small quantities of milk, which is great for Audrey. In fact, they started giving it to her by nasal tube today!

We were shown a few ways in which we could care for Audrey today, as we're very limited in how much we can hold her it feels good to do what little we can. We can take her temp, clean her face, and I got to change her ver first poopy diaper! Who would have imagined how happy I would be to do that :) But it's a fabulous sign that her body is healthy and functioning. And it was an interesting challenge to have to do it while she was still inside the isolette.

We did get to hold her for a few minutes today, and hopefully we can start the "kangaroo care" which involves skin-to-skin contact soon. It's supposed to be great for Audrey, and will also hopefully help me get the milk going for her.

Audrey is also being weaned off of the nasal cannula. She was already breathing regular air, just with a little flow. Hopefully by tomorrow she will be totally on her own with that. It's really exciting how well she is doing. I can't wait to spend time with her tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm very excited to see that she's progressing well. :-) I can't wait for you to be able to take her little bitty self home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see that things are moving forward. Yeah, poop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing all the statistics on Audrey!--things seem really good!...andrew had a low bilirubin count too -no big deal --it is so wonderful that she is breathing on her own!..I wonder how her weight is doing.She has such an appealing face!She looks like Michael don't you think?...I love this blog...caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you put up photos of her isolette. It's nice to be able to visualize what it's like for the three of you when you get to visit. It was such a great feeling when we got to take Adele out of the NICU and hold her with no wires or IV's or monitors attached. I'm guessing it'll be much more of a relief for you guys with all the gadgets you and Audrey are needing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! Her length and weight are great, too! And poop is wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete